Thursday, May 5, 2011

happy cinco de mayo!

Have I told ya'll how much I LOVE Mexican food? 

I do. 

I used to hate it. 

Can you even believe that?! 

I used to make my parents take me through McDonald's for a Happy Meal when they would go out for Mexican food.  That, or I would only eat tortilla's.

Today though, I'm happy to admit that I have overcome my dislike of Mexican food and now will proudly eat it every day of the week if possible.

To celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I decided that we should have a Mexican themed food day at work.


Margarita?  Yes please.  And it's only 10 AM.

Not to worry, I'm not drinking at work, but these taste like the real thing!  Check out the recipe from this book (that a coworker passed along):

Kosher salt
12 oz frozen limeade
6 oz orange juice
10 oz water
2 oz peach juice (or izze)
8 oz ginger ale
1 cup ice
6 lime wedges

Mix all of the above together (except for the lime wedges) and blend until smooth, or serve on the rocks. Garnish with salt and lime wedges.


I made a delicious batch of corn and black bean salsa.  Want to make your own? 

Ok!

Follow this recipe:

2 cans of black beans rinsed
1 can of corn rinsed
3 large tomatoes chopped
1/2 of a red onion chopped
1 lime (juice)
2 avocados chunked
1 jalapeno chopped
1 handful of cilantro (or around 1/2 cup)
Garlic salt

Throw all of this into a bowl and serve with corn chips.  Ole!

7 comments:

  1. YUM! I can't wait to try that margarita recipe. It would be perfect for my prego friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! both of those sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were productive today! I'm still full! *Barf*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I get so excited for food days, I am sure glad we don't have them often...

    SOOOO FUULLLLLL!!

    P.S. Glad you posted the recipe... I was gonna ask you for it! Muchas gracias!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost got super jealous that it was 10am and you were downing a margarita. It's been one of those days.

    But! The faux-garita and the other recipe both sound yummy. I'll flag it for later. :)

    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun! Happy Belated Cinco De Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Used to hate mexican! MADNESS I tell you! Glad your not missing out now and adding to it with a nice margarita!

    ReplyDelete