Wednesday, May 25, 2011

it's very tornado-y here lately

Oh, hi everyone.  Sorry I've been a little MIA this week, I've been a busy bee...and trying to avoid tornadoes and stuff.

So, Kansas weather is crazy, y'all.

I'm sure if any of you have been watching the news lately that you've seen/heard about the tornadoes in Joplin, MO.  A tornado that pretty much wiped out the entire city.  Joplin is only a little over two hours from Kansas City.

Hundreds are still missing and just over 120 have been confirmed dead.

The images on the news look like something that should be in a movie and not in real life.




Authorities confirm 89 deaths in Joplin, MO tornado

Today at work, we had to take cover in the basement/storm shelter because funnel clouds were spotted just blocks away from the corporate offices that I work in.

It's one thing to be stuck at home in a tornado warning...but it's another being stuck in a basement with 300+ people and having no idea what's going on outside.
 
While I know that it's going to take quite a bit of time for Joplin to recover from this crazy storm, every little bit counts. 
 
At work we've gone through our apparel closets and are donating a bunch of clothes, as well as hosting donation drives for both money and other supplies needed.
 
If you'd like to make a much needed donation, please go here.

4 comments:

  1. So scary. Glad to hear you're safe so far Kristin. Keep us posted when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's terrifying! A friend of mine was hiding in a store in MN when that tornado stream went through. We've been having some rough weather here in Ohio. It's tornado season I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, how scary for y'all!! I'm glad that y'all were able to stay safe!! The pictures are just heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my. I hope that you and your family are safe. I have family 15 mins. from Springfield,MA where the tornados hit today....such crazy and unexpected weather.

    ReplyDelete